UNISA is the largest open distance learning institution in Africa and the longest standing dedicated distance education university in the world. UNISA enrol nearly one-third of all South African students.UNISA was Founded in 1873 as the University of the Cape of Good Hope, the institution became the first public university in the world to teach exclusively by means of distance education in 1946.
Throughout the years, Unisa was perhaps the only university in South Africa to have provided all people with access to education, irrespective of race, colour or creed. This vibrant past is mirrored in our rich history, more particularly our massive and impressive database of alumni, some of whom are to be found in the most senior levels of society across the world.
Given our rootedness in South Africa and the African continent, Unisa today can truly claim to be the African university in the service of humanity. We have embraced the fact that we need to adapt quickly to the fast-paced higher education environment of the 21st century and this is reflected in our management style and leadership practice.
In addition, one of our main aims is to harness the new and emerging potential in information and communication technology to catapult the university into a truly digital future.UNISA offer an unparalleled range of study choices, ranging from short courses and certificate programmes to three-and four-year degrees and diplomas, close to 400 000 current students.
As one of the leading research institutions on the continent, our research efforts have won us numerous awards, recognitions and honours.Whether you’re beginning a new journey with UNISA or staying involved with your alma mater, we commend you on choosing a world-class institution that has been building Africa’s future for more than 145 years.
Who Must Apply For UNISA
- Everyone wanting to start a new qualification must apply for admission. This includes first-time Unisa applicants, Unisa students changing to a new qualification and applicants who previously applied for admission but were not offered a space.
- Everyone completing a Higher Certificate or Alternative Pathway / Extended Programme must apply for admission to the follow-on qualification.
- You must re-apply for admission if you previously applied for admission and received feedback, but did not register for any reason.
- Everyone planning to enrol for classes at a Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college under the Unisa-TVET agreement must apply for admission.
How To Apply For University Of South Africa
- You can apply online.
- Applicants who plan to enrol for classes at a Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college under the Unisa-TVET agreement may apply via the relevant TVET college or at Unisa via the online or self-help options.
Upload supporting documents
Everyone applying for a new qualification must submit the required documents (all first-time applicants and Unisa students starting a new qualification). The due date for uploading the required documents is the closing date for applications. No documents submitted after the closing date for applications will be accepted.
Unisa does not provide scanners or electronic devices. Please ensure that your documents are scanned and uploaded to an electronic device before starting the application process.
Pay the application fee once you’ve received a student number from Unisa
- R105 for online applications
- R160 for hard copy applications (hard copy applications will only be considered in exceptional cases)
- Use the student number you receive from Unisa AND the application fee reference number (ie STUDENTNUMBER 5370810030)
- Visit www.unisa.ac.za/paymentinfo for banking details and payment information.
NB: This fee is non-refundable even if you decide not to study through Unisa, do not qualify for admission to Unisa or cannot be offered a space due to limited spaces available. Unisa does not accept cash at any of its offices.
The due date for the application fee is the closing date for the application period. Any application submitted without an application fee paid on time will not be processed. Please ensure that you keep a copy of your proof of payment.
Make sure that your application is complete
If your application for admission to study through Unisa is incomplete, you will have to re-apply during the next application period.
University of South Africa offers a wide variety of under- and post-graduate qualifications that fit into the following faculties:
- Accounting Sciences
- Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Human Sciences
- Science, Engineering and Technology
- Graduate Studies
Other Universities In South Africa
However, these are number of universities in South Africa that might interest you to study in;
- Durban University of Technology
- Rhodes University
- Stellenbosch University
- University of Cape Town
- Fort Hare University
- Johannesburg University
- University of Limpopo
- Pretoria University
- University of Zululand
Do you have anything to add to this article? Kindly leave a comment below. Sharing is Loving. share with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and so on.