If you want to protect your young ones from foul language, adult content, or simply something you find gross (pimple popping channels aren’t for everyone), you’ll need to learn how to set up parental controls. YouTube parental controls are a much-needed feature in a world where kids live their lives online. It allows you to feel like you have some control while letting your child feel independent. You can go to YouTube to learn something, have a laugh, listen to music, and watch some of the content you enjoyed years ago. But as many have learned thanks to recent controversy, YouTube also has content that isn’t appropriate for children.
If you ultimately decide you want your kids to access YouTube but would like to limit what your kids can watch, your first step should be to turn on the site’s Restricted Mode, which can effectively be used as parental controls. But before you leave Junior in front of YouTube, thinking that Restricted Mode will do all the work for you, remember that it’s not an exact science and relies in part on users flagging content that might be inappropriate for children, and moderators taking said content down. So make sure to talk with your kids about what they shouldn’t watch, as this might not fully protect your children from adult content. Here’s how to set YouTube parental controls.
How To Setup Parental Control On Your Browser
- Go to YouTube.com, click Sign In and log into your Google account.
- When complete, you should be brought back to the homepage.
- Click on your Profile icon in the top right corner.
- Click Restricted Mode in the menu.
- Turn On Restricted Mode.
- Close the window. YouTube looks like it refreshes after that last step, but you’ll still see the same content as you did before you enabled Restricted Mode.
- Re-open YouTube, and confirm you’ve enabled restricted mode by clicking your profile icon and looking for that setting to be labelled as On.
How To Setup Parental Control On Mobile Device
- Open your YouTube app and sign in.
- Tap your profile icon to go into your Account.
- You’ll see it at the top-right of your screen. It’ll be your YouTube account’s icon.
- Choose Settings. Here you’ll see a bunch of options to modify your YouTube experience. But for our purposes, we want Settings.
- Tap Restricted Mode Filtering.
- There’s the setting we want. Once you tap on that, you’ll be brought to a simple page to set your filter.
- Hit the close button to confirm the setting.
- Pull down on the list of videos to refresh the feed.
How To Disable Parental Control
If you want to disable restricted mode, you just go back the way you came.
- Click on your icon and again, navigate to where it says “Restricted Mode: On.”
- Click on the blue circle and YouTube will quickly take you back to normal viewing mode.
- This is helpful if you share a YouTube account with your children and wish to navigate back and forth between restricted and unrestricted viewing.
Do you have anything to add to this article? Kindly leave a comment below. Sharing is Loving. share with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and so on.